Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Praying for the Future Spouse of Your Children



As a parent of three adult children, two of whom are single, I believe it is never too early (or too late) to start praying for your children's future spouses. When my son-in-law asked my late husband for our oldest daughter's hand in marriage, the number one requirement and only question was, "Do you love the Lord?" The answer was, "Yes, sir! I love the Lord." And six years later, I am very happy to say that the young man's answer is evident in the way he cares for and respects my daughter.

I desire the same for my second daughter and my only son. In turn, I pray that all three children exemplify the love of Christ in the homes they create with their spouses.

The following is a list of characteristics that may be helpful to pray for the future spouses of our children - with scripture.

Lord, please:

1. Draw my child's spouse to Your bosom, to be a wo/man after God's own heart; a maturing believer who can be a strong spiritual support/leader in their home, that they may encourage one another in a deeper relationship with You. (Ephesians 5:25-28)
2. Develop within my child's mate a desire to seek and ask forgiveness when wrong from both God and man. (1 John 1:8-9)
3. Teach my child's spouse the basics of spiritual warfare; how to flee temptation, how to take thoughts captive, how to stand firm against the devil's evil schemes. (1 Peter 5:8-9; 2 Corinthians 10:3-5; James 4:7-8)
4. Give my child's spouse a hunger for God through prayer and Bible study. (Matthew 13:23; 2 Timothy 2:15)
5. Provide my child's spouse with deep, satisfying personal relationships that will prepare her/him for marriage without compromising her/his purity. (1 Thessalonians 4:3-8)
6. Bless my child's mate with the proper attitude toward money, giving, receiving and working. Help her/him learn how to budget, save, and sow into Your ministries, as You lead and guide. (1 Timothy 6:6-11)
7. Help my child's spouse to become a master of good, uplifting communication. Protect her/him from foul language and angry response. (Colossians 3:8)
8. Help my child's spouse to make a commitment to the truth, to choose honesty in every situation, even when tempted to lie to lessen punishment or consequences. (Ephesians 4:25)
9. Show my child's spouse what You want her/him to do with her/his life. Help her/him to seek Your purpose. (1 Timothy 4:12).


I hope these are helpful as we continue to pray without ceasing for ourselves, one another and our precious children.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this perfect prayer for our children and grandchildren
    It was just what I needed to express within my heart.

    ReplyDelete

The joys of living and working in a non-toxic environment

We hear so much about work/life balance in the workplace.  Companies are rated on how employee-centered they are.  It's ...