Saturday, July 8, 2017

The Legacy of Love

"Teach the children well" Crosby, Stills & Nash
"The greatest legacy a father can leave his children is the knowledge and love of Jesus Christ." R. L. Wynn

More than money, and even land (although property is a great legacy, to be sure) - the greatest thing a father and mother can pass down to their children is a solid spiritual foundation in the Lord.

I bless the Lord for my parents, who introduced the Lord into my life when I was an infant, and nurtured me in the Word of God throughout my formal education years and on into college. That training from my childhood provided me with a mindset - a spiritual underpinning if you will. And no matter where I went or what I did, my home training was never far from me. Oh yes, I tried some things that were in direct opposition to what I'd been taught. I've made some HUGE mistakes and suffered the consequences. No matter the choices I made, or the places those choices took me, there was a voice of godly reason and instruction that kept me clear of utter destruction! "Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6. Bless the Lord, His Word is true! 

As a parent, my humanness, my frailties - all of me, has been exposed to my children. There is no hiding from those who've lived in your home from childhood. However, what I desire for my now adult children is that they continue to carry with them the truths and the faith we learned and embraced together as a family unit. In our family Bible study ministry, the Word of God opened all of our eyes, and took us beyond the confines of traditional religious thinking and worshipping. The Lord became real, and the practical application of His Word in our everyday lives was paramount. It is paramount.

The death of Bro. Wynn - the spiritual leader of our home and yea, our Bible study and music ministries - could have been the end of us. But God! Bro. Wynn left copious notes, sermons, and writings of encouragement. By the grace and power of God, I will compile these writings and give them to our children...that they may give them to their children. Until the Day of our Lord.

Amen

2 comments:

The joys of living and working in a non-toxic environment

We hear so much about work/life balance in the workplace.  Companies are rated on how employee-centered they are.  It's ...