Friday, March 22, 2013

Repentance - The 180 Degree Turnaround



From Boaz Ministries

I was talking to my father the other day, and he said something that underscored a thought I'd been having - that I wanted to share. First of all, I'm blessed to have both my parents, married 58 years, who still provide me with wisdom and guidance packed in our frequent phone conversations.

He said, "What it takes is a made up mind...", of choices we're often faced with that determine the direction we will go on our path, and who/what we are becoming as we go. I know this, of course. I've known this. But the thought came to me that many times, in our relationships with one another, we simply become content with saying "I'm sorry"...only to repeat the transgression (which is no longer just a 'mistake') over again. When we do this, it's obvious we don't possess a made up mind - to change.

Some things we can do strictly by the power of our human will. Many have gone cold turkey and dropped bad habits, never to pick them up again. But there are some things, deep, character issues, that require Divine intervention. If we're honest, we realize there's something strangely comfortable and even satisfying about these flaws and we're not ready to let them go.

NEWS FLASH! - whatever hinders the nurturing of our marriages and relationships, whatever it is we do that stunts growth, HINDERS US INDIVIDUALLY AND EVERYONE ELSE INVOLVED. It's naïve to believe otherwise. And it's foolish to think all will be fine if left alone and nothing is said.

Since we understand that no one can change another person, then we can state with a surety that the individual is the one responsible for working on his/her change. The party affected just needs to pray. Pray that their loved one sees the need for redirection; where "I'm sorry" occurs less and less - because there's been true repentance; and if it is spoken, it's genuine.

Repentance. A stepping stone on the road to FIERCENESS!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The joys of living and working in a non-toxic environment

We hear so much about work/life balance in the workplace.  Companies are rated on how employee-centered they are.  It's ...