Sunday, April 21, 2013

Ode to Central Park





beautiful for situation
in lush spaces
doth thou reside

proudly extending
city blocks long
and so  many smiles wide

I love thee…

from thy Great Lawn
on the green
to the Turtle Pond
and  Obelisk in between

from Bethesda Fountain
 and the terrace  on
wooded Ramble  shores

across Cherry Hill
to Strawberry Fields
thou art wonderfully
adorned

Thy carousel, castle
and horse-drawn carriages
create a nostalgic atmosphere
a land of fantasy and elegance
on a midnight, clear


thy grounds I see
with eyelids closed,
Great Hill and Wollman Rink

My camera mind holds
 “Secret Garden”
where I would  sit, and think

I love thee

and thy many scenes
thy seasonal dress
the inspiration for
dreams

My thoughts  wind round
meandering paths
thy lovely founts
provide bird baths

Thy expanse, in the midst
of the Great City
is time -frozen
pristine and pretty

Oh nature’s beauteous
work of art
I shall ever hold thee
in my heart

Bridget Alyce  © 1999

No comments:

Post a Comment

The joys of living and working in a non-toxic environment

We hear so much about work/life balance in the workplace.  Companies are rated on how employee-centered they are.  It's ...