Thursday, October 22, 2015

Staying Fit "two-gether"

My journey to healthful living started about 6 years ago, in earnest. I was in my early 50s, and for years I'd been struggling with a nagging 20 pounds that I needed to shed.

I had many fits and starts, but it was when my doctor informed me that  my blood pressure was registering too high, and I was in danger of hypertension (something I already knew from my paternal side) - that I became committed. It was going to require a change of mind all around- I had to eat right, exercise vigorously, and get proper rest.

Thankfully, I had encouragement and support from my family then, and now. Last year, Bruce and I began juicing with the popular Jack LaLanne juicer. We shared part of our journey with others via our ministry and blog. It was so successful, we both lost over10 pounds and several inches each, on "just juice", in 7 days!

I am sharing today because we've been featuring ways husbands and wives can inspire each other in their marriages.  And for the past several weeks, the focus has been "husbands to wives", a 10-part series.  The tips were compiled from husbands; from what they've learned and what is working in their marriages. And some of the most recent tips come straight from our own experiences as a couple.

When I told my husband of my plans to join a women's running group... he began doing things to facilitate my new lifestyle. From my Nike tennis shoes, to my workout pants, to my workout bag - Bruce outfitted me! There was no turning back, and no excuse!  During the spring and summer seasons, we power-walked together. When I became concerned about continuing my pavement work during the coming winter months - he signed us up at the gym!

I go most mornings because of my commitment to myself and my family! I want to be healthy for my future grandchildren. I see that becoming 60 is another beautiful decade of blessings to come - and I want to be here to receive them, Lord willing!

We have recently retired the bulky LaLanne juicer and are now enjoying the NutiBullet for our green and fruity smoothies. It is a much quicker process; we can have them daily; it's easier to clean, and we get more of the nutrients in each serving.

By the grace and power of God, and our willingness to be obedient, there is now balance in our life. Thanks to Bruce's commitment to our chosen lifestyle, his unwavering support, and our accountability to one another on this journey - I'm inspired daily to be the best me I can be!


No comments:

Post a Comment

The joys of living and working in a non-toxic environment

We hear so much about work/life balance in the workplace.  Companies are rated on how employee-centered they are.  It's ...