Friday, February 15, 2013

Longing for memories we never made




For my late Grandmother, 
Mary Alyce Greathouse


I used to take your picture from Daddy's dresser drawer, and just stare

For years you've been smiling at me from

that cherished place,
among his “smell-goods”

 

Well, today I need to know something

You see, I never really knew you, Granny
but Daddy’s told me of our family history

And your maiden name

I only remember you left this earth when
I was 6 years old, and how my Daddy cried

 

All my early memories are blurred with bits and pieces
of southern fried scenes smothered in gravy and onions

And big, bosomy hugs


My mind couldn’t ever conjure your face, Granny

So I would hold your picture, framed in antique silver,

and trace the wide happiness of your smile caught in
that candid moment


I imagine your laughter, and I am proud to say I see our
resemblance when I smile


I wonder if your sadness looked like mine, too

I wonder how much of you still breathes
outside the picture frame, inside of me

 

How I miss you, Granny
I miss the times we didn’t get to make the memories
that would give me a firm grip of you 


Some old-fashioned, Southern Grand-mothering 

on Daddy's side, that I can hold onto
  

For times when I'm up against a hard life test

At least I’d know what my Granny would do...

Bridget Alyce © 2001


 

2 comments:

  1. Love this, you favor her very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, thank you! It's taken me a while to share this piece. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

The joys of living and working in a non-toxic environment

We hear so much about work/life balance in the workplace.  Companies are rated on how employee-centered they are.  It's ...