Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Why I Stopped Watching "Scandal"


From Boaz Ministries

Yes. The show had me going, somewhere in the first season. I confess that I was watching weekly. I even engaged in “girls’ night” every Thursday. I got caught up in the hype, the accolades given to its creator, being a Black woman and a dynamite writer/producer. And as someone who doesn’t watch network television, this was the one exception I allowed myself. However, there was a constant battle going on in my mind regarding the underlying theme – the adulterous relationship between the main characters of the show, among other things. Even though I spoke out against it to friends who seemed to enjoy that element, and wanted it to remain a focal point – I continued to watch. (‘because the writing was so intriguing’) I love great acting and drop dead gorgeous writing. This show has both. No doubt.

What convicted me to finally say, “enough!” was a link to a blog shared by one of my friends on my personal FB page. The author of the blog, a 22-year-old, single woman, told of her decision to stop watching the show. She spoke of the desensitization of morals such programs cause, which lulls us to sleep spiritually. My jaw dropped. That was it, exactly! And when the Holy Spirit speaks this loudly and clearly (and emphatically), I knew it was time for me to stop.

Tonight, I told my husband that I won’t be watching anymore because I am all about strengthening marriages, encouraging couples, and all people, to make good choices. Shows like “Scandal” are not the type of entertainment I can cosign any longer. It’s about stripping down to “fighting weight” at this point in my life, and anything that is a distraction from the ministry I’ve been called to do, must go. It wasn’t a tough decision; what was a little uncomfortable was sitting down to write this. But I realize that being transparent and open is a huge part of meaningful ministry. It was Bruce’s idea that I share my story on Boaz.

My commitment to be effective in service to others, in the name of Jesus, requires that I watch what I place before my eyes, and what seeps into my subconscious. No more compartmentalizing God for me; been there, done that. It doesn’t work in my personal relationship with the Lord as He finishes what He started in me.

Just keeping it real, because I’m moving forward by the Power of the Fiercest Love I know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The joys of living and working in a non-toxic environment

We hear so much about work/life balance in the workplace.  Companies are rated on how employee-centered they are.  It's ...