Thursday, February 21, 2013

...when LinkedIn goes ROGUE!

Part of my work includes helping clients establish their online presence... yeah. So, anyway, as I was going about this with a very computer savvy individual, I saw that he had created a very sophisticated LinkedIn profile for himself. Why I thought I needed to take a "looksee" at mine (abandoned twice - I have two profiles on the web, yikes!) - is beyond me. I suppose I was impressed - inspired, even, by this young man's web presence.

I went home and decided to resurrect one of my sites, just poke around and see what I could do to spruce it up and update a few things. However, in doing so, I seemed to have unleashed the monster auto pilot that pays no attention to any of your instructions. I did not realize anything had happened until I began receiving "confirmations" in my email inbox of connections I had made!! I had unwittingly "reached out" to any and everyone who had ever exchanged an email message with me - who had a LinkedIn account!!! DOUBLE YIKES!! I sat there with my mouth agape... (not feeling that "agape" type love, either)... I felt so....(I still can't find the word!)

There is no way, I repeat, NO way, I wanted that kind of attention. Why in the world? HOW in the world can one just simply get on LinkedIn and EDIT, without having THAT THING  contact all your.."contacts" - who aren't necessarily contacts you wish to contact? I saw something where you can indicate who you wish to add - they were all automatically checked (as if!). SO I UNCHECKED ALL OF THEM! So, why did this happen? It's like the program went behind my back and CHECKED THEM ALL AGAIN!!

I'm still shaking my head, and chuckling at myself. This is just me letting off steam about this automatic madness that goes on when one least expects it. And if anyone had a question about my intentions when you got that notification from my account - I hope this explains it!

As.you.were.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The joys of living and working in a non-toxic environment

We hear so much about work/life balance in the workplace.  Companies are rated on how employee-centered they are.  It's ...