Thursday, December 27, 2018

"Day Ones" and "Riders"

In today's speak, your  'A-1 from Day 1' or 'Rider' (as in ride or die) is a best  friend from the start - until the wheels fall off. I've written elsewhere in this blog about my ever-evolving understanding of myself and my friendships over the years. And I have amassed quite a number of friends throughout my life.

But there was a moment, coming upon five years ago, when I realized who my real friends are. My father was ill for a brief time at the end of 2014, and died in January of 2015. I had moved to the east coast and most of my friends and family were on the west coast. During the days before my father's memorial service when people typically gather in support of the family, we were surrounded by beloved friends and family. They were so loving, and took care of my mother and us.

It wasn't until afterward, when my husband asked me about the absence of some specific individuals who were my friends - that I realized something I hadn't even thought of:  my actual Day Ones had shown up for me and my family in our time of bereavement. Friends I'd known for over 40 years - college roommates and classmates from elementary and high school. People with whom I hadn't even been in constant communication; some only via social media - some via their spouses who are on social media. These wonderful folks rallied when my family needed them, and came all the way through.

Their love and devotion through the years cannot be quantified, and I can't thank them enough. Nothing is more precious than friends who truly stand by you, defying the separation of space and the passing of time, under any circumstance. So when I reflected on my husband's query - about the folks who were missing, who knew and had had fellowship with my father and mother - who knew that my father had passed away, I had this revelation: the people with me here now, will be with me for the whole ride.

I'm grateful. And I declare that I'm a rider for each of them!



No comments:

Post a Comment

The joys of living and working in a non-toxic environment

We hear so much about work/life balance in the workplace.  Companies are rated on how employee-centered they are.  It's ...