Saturday, June 29, 2013

Womanthread


inspired by the Poet, Arlene Hunter

Among the sistas
there’s a singular tie that pulls and binds
and keeps our hearts and souls together

Getting to the good part

My sista/friend calls it “Womanthread”

And I am ever mindful of the struggles we endure
where I work
at my church
in my neighborhood
I see us
Smiling, caring, carrying, bearing
Keeping our heads up when life presents its drama
Our backs grow tired sometimes,
We bend, but do not break
Our hearts may ache a while
And we’ll sacrifice for love’s sake

My sistas stay strong against incredible odds
My sistas pray long to an awesome God

Searching for that good part

This is for my sistas, for us today
And all our tomorrows
I embrace us in our woman-ness
Threading joy clean through our sorrows

Bridget Edwards, © 2013
excerpted from the poem "Getting To The Good Part"
from, Come, Joy! Songs from the soft of night
(PublishAmerica © 2005)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The joys of living and working in a non-toxic environment

We hear so much about work/life balance in the workplace.  Companies are rated on how employee-centered they are.  It's ...