Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Why Prayer?



During my time participating in small group prayer and Bible study ministry before moving to the east coast, I had the opportunity to discover a great deal about how and why couples were not connecting in their marriages. Indeed, my interactions with others in our circle taught me huge lessons and revealed things that I know God meant for me. And these experiences convicted me – I knew I had to share what I’ve been learning. 

The bottom line was simple and startling at once.  Couples were not praying. Couples were not praying together. Couples, who call themselves Christians, who attend church services every weekend without fail – were leaving home every day without first connecting to the Power Source. I repeat: AND they were not doing it together. Homes where the husband was an Elder, or Deacon, where the wife was Youth Ministry Leader or Choir Director… were lacking in this part of their worship experience. How is that possible? I will offer one suggestion in two words: spiritual compartmentalization. Might be a lot of syllables, but it simply means – putting God in a neat little box reserved for certain times and places; home, not being one of those places. Trust and believe, the absence of prayer in the home explains why many marital troubles manifest - and fester.

Sincere couples worship forms a holy shield of protection around us. We will think twice about acting out against a spouse or significant other if we engage in daily prayer – together. The emphasis on praying “together” is more important than many may believe. Some may feel they’re doing just fine praying alone in their prayer closets; and there are times when we should seek the Lord privately. Praying with our mate is essential for both intimacy with God and each other. Praying together strengthens the covenant we have made to one another by God’s grace and power.

Believing couples who consider that they “have it all”, yet do not spend quality time praying together should carefully re-assess their relationship with the Lord, which will undoubtedly provide insights into their relationship with one another. This will mean making an intentional effort to communicate with one another, honestly. I speak from experience, of things in my own life and the lives of others who have shared their stories with me. Marriage goes better with prayer, and the benefits are multiplied exponentially in ways you cannot imagine. Some of you reading already know. So pray. Do it regularly. Do it regularly, together.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

The joys of living and working in a non-toxic environment

We hear so much about work/life balance in the workplace.  Companies are rated on how employee-centered they are.  It's ...