Friday, June 24, 2016

Change of Heart

In loving  memory of Rufus Lamont Wynn - as his birthday approaches

6/26/54-5/8/10
The spring and summer seasons always give me pause for review and reflection. Six years ago, I experienced a great loss - even the words great loss pale in comparison to the enormity of the impact. My husband and college sweetheart passed away in May, before his 56th birthday, which is coming up on the 26th of this month.

I commemorate his life, celebrating publicly here on this blog, because there is something of importance that I learned from him, especially in the final year of his life. It must be shared.

Having met in college when we were just kids, 17 and 19 years old, I was able to witness what God can do - the power to transform. I wasn't truly conscious of the changes until perhaps 4 or 5 years before he passed away. But the once quick-tempered, sharp tongued guy I used to know, became calm, peaceful, and forgiving. He had always been known by others as a "great person" - however, there was a remarkable shift. A shift in the way he viewed things; a change in the way he took on challenges, or not. His wisdom and counsel were sought after by many, and people quote his sayings to this day.

While it was true that the car accident in March of that year caused him some brain injury - the Psychologist and Neurologists determined there had been no brain damage - and the only affected part of his brain was the area that houses our emotions. There was a softness about him. He noticed it himself, and we both agreed that we liked him better this new way!

He loved the Lord, was in a committed relationship with God. And he was an avid student of the Word of God. He could be found up in the wee hours of the morning, sitting in his chair with his Bible in his lap, head bowed in prayer.

Because of his example, I've changed my way of responding to things and people. During the final two weeks of his life, one of my family members did something that could have negatively affected plans he and I had made - but his reaction was so opposite my own, I had to step back! He actually saw a bright side, and of course, things did work out.

Since his death, there have been situations and people that I've not forgotten, and only halfheartedly forgiven. Of course, as I engage in ministry, encouraging believers to be like Christ, I'm speaking to myself as well. "What would Jesus do?" is the question ever before those of us who profess Christ.

I've experienced a change of heart because of  God's supreme love for me by allowing me to be an eyewitness of His power to transform a life. And I'm still growing, by His grace and mercy! It's a process, but when we ask the Holy Spirit to reveal to us the things that need fixing, He will. Then I think about my late husband, knowing that's exactly what he did!

Rest in peace, Bro. Wynn - as your family remembers you on what would have been your 62nd birthday! We look forward to the Day of Rejoicing!



No comments:

Post a Comment

The joys of living and working in a non-toxic environment

We hear so much about work/life balance in the workplace.  Companies are rated on how employee-centered they are.  It's ...