Saturday, December 31, 2016

In the morning when I rise

These words belong to a Negro Spiritual, or Traditional Spiritual, and there are numerous variations and arrangements of it out there - all beautiful, especially when sung acapella.

My soul is drawn to this song and I've chosen it as my theme song. At first I thought it rather odd, because I've never known of anyone having a "theme song" for their life. But, it can't be much different than a personal philosophy, or a motto - a personal statement - or more culturally relevant - "the soundtrack of my life."

The picture above suggests that Alma Blackmon was the originator of that thought. But she was not. I had the privilege of knowing her when she was my English Professor in college. She was also an outstanding choral director of the Aeolians, a highly acclaimed and internationally known concert choir. Of the many posters I found online with these very words, I chose to share this one because I believe I know what Professor Blackmon meant.  The other verses of this song are:

Dark midnight was my cry
Dark midnight was my cry
Dark midnight was my cry
Give me Jesus

When I am alone, Lord
When I am alone
And when I am alone
Give me Jesus

<chorus>
Give me Jesus
Give me Jesus
You may have all this world
Give me Jesus

And when I come to die
When I come to die
When I come to die
Give me Jesus

In the morning when I rise
In the morning when I rise
In the morning when I rise
Give me Jesus


Dr. Blackmon, who passed away in 2009, composed an arrangement of this song; she was in agreement with its words, as am I.  And as the year 2016 comes to a close, I have great expectations of what God has in store. I've made a vow to the Lord, and no matter what will or may come, whether I live or die, He is my soul's desire.

Blessings unto all of you in 2017!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The joys of living and working in a non-toxic environment

We hear so much about work/life balance in the workplace.  Companies are rated on how employee-centered they are.  It's ...