Saturday, August 18, 2018

Soundtrack of My Life

Over the past few days I’ve been on social media, reading the beautiful, moving tributes to Aretha Franklin, The Queen of Soul, who left this earthly plane on August 16. To every post I read, all I could reply was “Amen”, or click the *heart* icon. I was speechless, and dealing with the “tender emotions” I now experience when someone dies - no matter who it is.
I chose this picture of Ms. Franklin from the thousands on the internet - because it’s from 1967, when “RESPECT” was released. That singular word informed the mind and heart of a then 11 year old Black girl in a profound, finger-snapping way, and was the sealant for what my parents had been instilling within me. My schoolmates and I could be seen on any given day strutting around the playground, reciting those lyrics, spelling it out. Singing joyfully. Proudly. Seeping into my subconscious, I was rehearsing RESPECT for myself, RESPECT for others - and as I got older, I began to understand the nuances of adult relationships Ms. Franklin was really singing about. Music lyrics teach us. And the winning blend of impeccable vocal and instrumental musicality made an indelible mark deep within my soul.
I want to thank my friends on my social media platforms for sharing their experiences, up close and personal with The Queen of Soul, and others who knew her the way I did, as the sweet, soulful LP playing over and over again throughout our lives. We LOVED Aretha. We LIVED Aretha. We love her still - and her soulful messages - THANK GOD - will fill the air forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The joys of living and working in a non-toxic environment

We hear so much about work/life balance in the workplace.  Companies are rated on how employee-centered they are.  It's ...