Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Legacy of Purity - repost

Had the most amazing conversation with a young woman the other day. She's a wife, mother of three, married for 10 years; and as it often happens, she opened up to me about her life. ( and, I wasn't even getting paid to listen!!!!)

Well this young lady, (let's call her Elise), is a believer.  At the outset she asked me if I believe in God, to which I said "yes". She was thorough, too, because she then asked, "Ok, that's good. But do you believe in Jesus Christ?" I gave her a knowing smile and answered her, again, in the affirmative. (there do be a difference, don'tchaknow)

Elise began sharing her faith with me, discussing family values and what she and her husband are teaching their children. I found her conversation refreshing; I mean, she's in her mid-thirties and upholds principles that today's society looks upon as old fashioned, out dated and irrelevant. Truth be told, a great deal of society's moral standards (or lack of same) have crept into "churchianity".(which, by definition of my new fave term, explains the decline)

Anyway, we were flowing, touching and agreeing on spiritual topics, when she proudly announced that she had been a virgin when she got married. I was flabbergasted (ok, maybe that's too over-the-top - but I was happily surprised, to say the least). And as I was gathering myself to respond, she went on to say that her mother and father had also saved themselves for marriage, as did her mother's mother and father, before that! I was appropriately "WOWed!" And I congratulated her for recognizing the significance of doing so.

I've always believed that the Lord really knew what He was doing when He created such a beautiful gift for humankind. It is a sacred thing, that, unfortunately, has become so common and unspecial today, that people completely miss how awesome sexual intimacy between two people truly is, who are committed to the long haul!

Elise understood the specialness of her promise to God to present herself pure and untouched, to her husband. She said she can see the difference it makes when looking at friends and others around her - with so many premarital sexual experiences weighing on people's emotions, psyches, and impacting their physical/medical well being. She said she and her husband are enjoying better sex than most of their friends (based on unsolicited testimonies - you know how women talk, good or bad, we talk!) And she's excited because she knows that intimacy, of which sex is just a small part, will only get better as the years go by. (I had to second that emotion!)

They will pass their legacy of purity on to their children, sharing their belief in God's plan for His people. And I can tell it won't be a hell fire and brimstone sermon...there's no need for that. There's plenty of Scripture to support the wise admonishing and loving counsel God has given to ensure that His children experience that abundant life Jesus spoke about in John 10:10.

I was pleased, impressed, and proud to make Elise's acquaintance. Thought I'd pass it on to you...



No comments:

Post a Comment

The joys of living and working in a non-toxic environment

We hear so much about work/life balance in the workplace.  Companies are rated on how employee-centered they are.  It's ...