Thursday, December 1, 2011

My Hair - A very short, short, short story - remix

I wrote the following piece December 1, 2011- when I thought I was done with processed hair. Apparently, I wasn't. It was the same old love/hate relationship I've had with my hair style choices for many, many years. And after two years of wrestling with the relaxer - I'm going back to my roots. As I've told friends, "I'm happy going nappy." My workout schedule and lifestyle changes are not conducive to chemicals and having to fuss with keeping that sleek appearance. I just needed to find a way to make it all work, and still feel confident about the head. Plus, I have to keep things consistent, as I am a strong advocate for natural - everything!

June, 2016 - Today 

This is me - all the way back!
 



This was me - on my way back to my roots

December, 2015 - happy going (back) nappy

I was going through my "stats" here on the blog the other day, and saw that this post had several 'hits'. I thought, this would be a great time to update readers about my choice.

I'm feeling free, and looking good! I'll not go back to the heat of the chemicals or the flatiron. Natural I came into this world,
and I'll be natural until I leave here!








MY HAIR, A VERY SHORT, SHORT, SHORT STORY

So, as of about a month ago, I realized that I wasn't wrong after all. I am NOT a "grand diva" (one who goes to the beauty shop every week)...nor am I a "diva" (every other week). Matter of fact, my hairstylist has to call ME to remind me about touch ups! It's just a fact and I'm not going to force what doesn't fit.

Hair crack (relaxer), 2011
My style is natural hair. But for about 10 months, I tried the relaxed look. Short, sassy... suave swagger swoosh with a tapered back and soft, feminine line at the neck. My former profile pic on this blog (above) was the beginning phase of my new do last December . A little boyish, but - you know, I'm not the glamor queen.

Well, I'm over it. Again. I've been having this love-hate relationship with relaxed styles for 40 something years! The press and curl was a fave style in the 80s because the beauticians learned how to turn their wrists just right with those hot combs and curling irons - and you couldn't tell it was a press job! Just that, it still wasn't moisture friendly!

I love walking in the rain with my natural hair! Sudden showers don't faze me a bit. (walking in the rain with a relaxer meant I had to make an emergency visit to my stylist! UGH!) I'm NOT good with the tools of the trade so whenever I decided to relax - I knew I'd be coughing up the funds to stay chic about the head.

Did I mention that I'm over it? Yes. One evening after work, I told my daughter to get the scissors and cut all the relaxed ends off my hair. BAM!  A devout proponent of natural hair/care, she did a wonderful job...sculpted my extra kinky locks into a little afro. I felt like myself again. With her help, I went to the beauty supply store and purchased a couple of items I never thought I'd buy! WIGS! My daughter informed me that wigs are one of the forms of protective hairstyles while natural hair is in "recovery". (I learned there's also extension braiding, cornrowing, and even weaves!!) Braids are not my look, never had them. My mother cornrowed my hair when I was a small child - no thanks. Weaves - well, the jury is out on them. I'd need to pay serious dollars to a VERY reputable stylist - and the style would have to match me. SHORT and to the point. Not now. (maybe not ever)

The wigs are working for the time being during this transition. And they photograph well, don't they? - Betcha didn't even know! Check my current blog pic - (only my hairstylist knows for sure!) They are believable because they look like my relaxed style. I'm not one to go crazy and get a long haired wig...or something blond or radical. I don't do Halloween. I let my hair breathe regularly, and now that it has grown out more, I've worn my 'fro out in public. Its reappearance has been met with rave reviews. I'm more gray, though. *one issue at a time*

Can't really say exactly what I will do as the natural hair continues to grow. A friend of mine said he's been noticing a hairstyle trend among some Black female writers... the Toni Morrison dreadlocks. I took that as a compliment to the Art..and that he would think I rate like that was coolness. (honnesstly!) I could probably do Nubian Knots. My eldest daughter rocks some fierce dreads. She's a writer and artist. (could there be something to this?) I don't think long dreads is me because unlike many, I don't enjoy/wish for long hair. I don't even let it grow too long before I feel the need to chop-chop! In the meantime, I am caring for my hair as it grows back. Will continue to shampoo, condition and oil it as guided by my stylist and my daughter. They know hair.

Natural with my daughters - 2010

Hair crack, 2011
2010

"Protective Custody" (wig)

My comfort zone - just shave it off and be myself!
I do like my style options, too. I'll throw on one of my cute cut wigs and walk out the door with a quickness! I'm looking pretty good; my mind is at ease because, as I've joked to my girlfriends, my hair is in protective custody. (ok, you had to be there...)








No comments:

Post a Comment

The joys of living and working in a non-toxic environment

We hear so much about work/life balance in the workplace.  Companies are rated on how employee-centered they are.  It's ...