Wednesday, December 28, 2011

I choose my battles, but



I better say my peace...

Recently,  I received a friend request on FB from someone (else) I don't know. Mind you, I have over 700 friends- and if you read what I blogged about my stance on friendships, then you already know...



After I did my usual inspection of the requester's page and saw some mutual friends I respect, I accepted. So, why, after two minutes into this new association, did I get this inbox message about my celebrating Christmas (because they do not), and other such assumptions/attacks? (My mouth is still agape at this!) "I don't even KNOW you!"

Then I decided to do something I really didn't have to do. I took this person to task on the assumptions about my religious beliefs and offers to pray for me.  Those of you out there who are FB friends of mine, with the exception of my children, will know this is the first time I'm saying the following:

About 5 years ago, Bro Wynn and I decided we were done with Christmas. (I had started having "Scrooge-like" feelings even before that, to my kids' dismay) We had put many years and even more hard earned dollars into it - and our children enjoyed it every year. We enjoyed it, too; especially Bro Wynn! (big kid that he was) Around 2006, our home had its last great tree.(ours were the bomb for YEARS!) However, there are traditions surrounding this holiday that I still engage in, like the family get together (which is a wonderful, wonderful experience every year at my cousins'). But Christmas as the birthday of Jesus Christ - NOT! (the "Christmas story" in the New Testament did not take place in December! Yeah, I'm a literal daughter-of-a-gun!) And Christmas as the commercial feeding frenzy of  masses upon masses of two-legged lemmings - ABSOLUTELY NOT! Can't participate! My study of the Bible and the Hebraic roots that have been muted by modern Christianity- rewarded me with the knowledge that the most legitimate celebration at this time of year is Chanukah. Nothing to do with Christ's birth, mind you - yet significant because of what it does represent.(a wonderful miracle!)  One would have to look in 1&2 Maccabees to discover this, which ties to prophecies in Daniel 8. Then there is the fact that Jesus Himself celebrated it along with all the other Jews ( hence, a long established holy day): the  feast of the dedication, mentioned in John 10:22-23. 

All of the above constitutes how, over time, I became underwhelmed by the celebration of Christmas. Yet I do not celebrate Chanukah. I simply gained knowledge about this holiday and have respect for it. I'm hoping this lets people know that while I enjoy the warm fuzzies that occur at this time of year, my favorite holiday of all is Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving, which is far, far removed from pilgrims, native Americans and has zero to do with me or my people (the blacks).  Still, Thanksgiving is a holiday with rich meaning for many families.  I'm saying I like the ambiance, the great food, the family gatherings... but you won't hear me wish anyone "Merry Christmas". I will say, "Happy holidays!" or "Seasons' greetings" or "Blessings to you and yours this holiday season", because we've got about three holidays going on during this time, right? Plus, I genuinely wish good will toward wo/men. I wish that for all of us year round. Yeah, I'm probably being a bit of a pill about my non-use of the word "Christmas", but you gotta also know that when "they" started using the "X" instead of spelling out "Christ" - it didn't offend me.(though I understand why Christians who love this holiday are offended by "Xmas")  I'm saying I'm cool with the celebration of Kwanzaa. I'm also saying I am supportive of families who start their own traditions and pass them down throughout their generations. I support people's embrace of what these holidays mean to them - not what merchants dictate...

I'm saying that I'm not here to foist my beliefs on anyone. And I'm hoping that above all, you know I'm about learning more, growing more and sharing MORE LOVE!!

Peace, joy and crazy love be yours in the new year!







 




No comments:

Post a Comment

The joys of living and working in a non-toxic environment

We hear so much about work/life balance in the workplace.  Companies are rated on how employee-centered they are.  It's ...