Saturday, December 31, 2011

Post Script

My email notification from Facebook showed that I deactivated my account at 4:54 p.m., December 30, 2011. There's a blurb about reactivation, should I ever decide to do so. I am pleased to report that I have come through this cold turkey experience with minimal difficulty. When I've thought to "check the haps" - within nanoseconds my brain has reminded me there's nothing to check. And I just move on to the next thing... (I've purchased some good books to read at the start of the new year; then there's the incomplete manuscripts)

I need to take this moment to also say that I "met" a great many wonderful people while I was on Facebook. I realize the list I published in yesterday's post didn't give a positive picture of my 700+  friends. That wasn't fair. My network was quite the A list of African American authors, bookstore owners, academicians, artists, musicians and students of both the Bible and Torah. I reconnected with family and friends; a blessing beyond words! Ok, I may have exaggerated when I listed atheists (because I don't believe I had FB acquaintances with straight up atheistic views) - but in a few instances, honestly, people who claimed to be one thing, "spoke" and "acted" like something else. (with pictures to prove it!) There was too much of that for my taste. And yes, I mean there were Christians (by their own description) who did not deport themselves that way on their pages.(and thus, I came to see the varying ideas people have about Christianity and what it looks like) I found myself having to delete/block/hide a whole lotta folks' posts.

The beauty of this internet is the ability to reach out and stay in touch across the time zones and the miles. Believe me when I tell you, while I was on Facebook, I got on many a mailing list, and became a follower of several blog pages of my favorites. Keeping up with these people through their websites will be my extreme pleasure. I can feast on their words, enjoy their music, purchase their latest offerings - in complete peace and quiet. I can drop a line, add a comment, or say nothing at all - but they'll know I'm out here flowing!

Just want to say that my experience on Facebook wasn't negative. It was an important season in my life. And I want to publicly thank those who enriched my life during the time I was on - maybe 2 years. There are those who helped me get through the roughest time of my life through prayers and words of encouragement. You know who you are. Thank you, from the depths of my heart! And may God continue to bless you and your house! 











No comments:

Post a Comment

The joys of living and working in a non-toxic environment

We hear so much about work/life balance in the workplace.  Companies are rated on how employee-centered they are.  It's ...