Monday, June 4, 2012

Don't worry, pray about it...

Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7 NLT


The old folks' counsel has always been some of the best I've ever received. "Chile, if you got a problem, pray about it"; "Sugar if you got a question, ask the Lord!" As I've said, it took me a while to really get the full benefit of a consistent prayer life. I look back and realize that God blessed me mightily by choosing my parents and extended family before I was born. They raised me to know about Him. God was even looking out for me when He blessed me with my first husband, the late, great, R. Lamont Wynn. And as we raised our children and grew more and more involved in ministry - we began to see how crucial it is for believers to pray for guidance and discernment about every decision; especially the major ones! As a result of our understanding, we sat down with our three children and instructed them thoroughly, with the Bible as our source, on the importance of being selective and prayerful in everything.

It is evident, as we look around today, that young people are not consulting the Lord first about important relationship choices; unfortunately, neither are the older people. Then there are instances when "praying people" ask for the wrong things because we want what we want and we know we're supposed to "run it by" Jesus. (James 4:2-3)  Men and women going through divorce have shared with me that they realized they hadn't been specific when they prayed for a wife or husband. One brother told me, "I prayed for someone who is smart, career minded, beautiful and of my same denomination; and that's what I got. I forgot to ask for someone who was loving, compassionate and knows the Lord."  I had to agree, there's a big difference. Quite honestly, even believers who know to "ask the Lord" - are usually already decided upon someone, or, will make a mistake due to impatience. So, I'm not saying God gave that brother that particular wife. (because God hates divorce, Malachi 2:16 NLT says it straight out!) But I do know that this brother knows what he's looking for now, is asking the Lord to work his issues out  - and is waiting for her, if it be God's will.

Our choices, when guided by fervent prayer as we seek His will, are blessed. We should be specific, keeping in mind the type of character we desire in a mate. There need not be any rush, or anxiety, worry, or pressure. As the above text so aptly puts it - don't worry, pray about (some things? no!) EVERYTHING! Be thankful to God for what He's already done... take your hands off of it, watch for His signals, and enjoy the peace that comes from knowing He's handling your business - thoroughly! (Ask me how I know!)

Blessings


https://www.facebook.com/theboazministries




No comments:

Post a Comment

The joys of living and working in a non-toxic environment

We hear so much about work/life balance in the workplace.  Companies are rated on how employee-centered they are.  It's ...