Saturday, December 22, 2012

Untitled - a bit of a rant

Like a good many people, I enjoy this time of year. But I want to speak briefly about why I don't view Christmas as some special, "holy" celebration. Number one, its origins are anything but holy. Theologians and lay Bible students across the globe realize it's not the actual birthday of Jesus Christ. (the info is available if one cares to do the research)  Some would challenge me with the question, "What's wrong with recognizing the birth of Christ on December 25?" My answer is this: He never asked that of us, nor is it a requirement for entrance into His Kingdom. And, how would any one of us appreciate people arbitrarily deciding when to celebrate our birthday?

What He did ask of us, what He does require of us - is so much tougher to accomplish, it seems. We actually need to be in a love relationship with Him and the Father, through faith, by the power of the Holy Spirit, to please Him. And that's the part I care to focus on: what pleases Him.

Never being one to want to throw cold water on people's fun and enjoyment of the holidays, I simply refrain from conversations about "the reason for the season." Merchants and shoppers make it clear (to me) what the true reason for this season is, and that begins the day after Thanksgiving! We've got "Black Friday" and "Cyber Monday" - all gearing us up for the big day when St. Nick and Jesus get folded into some kind of frenzied stew.

Thinking people (who may not even believe in Jesus) can see Christmas is not about Christ. When you look at what takes place in the country from about September through December - it's insulting to His name. MORE people care about being ready for Christmas, than for Christ's return.(I'm talking about the group who bear His name as believers)

I shake my head in amazement. I also nod my head with understanding, and I respect people's right to believe and do as they please during these holidays. It's a wonderful time for families and friends to come together to share of their goodwill and bounty. I'm good with that. Completely. I'm not good with the foisting of some fictitious (and pagan) birthday on my Lord and Savior which serves to manipulate and exploit the masses because of the utter greed that is rampant in the land.

That's my story, that's my song - on this subject. I will add that I wish everyone a safe and joyous holiday season with their loved ones. And I am doing the same!











No comments:

Post a Comment

The joys of living and working in a non-toxic environment

We hear so much about work/life balance in the workplace.  Companies are rated on how employee-centered they are.  It's ...