Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Wisdom

I didn't know what to title this thought - so I chose the one word I think will sum it all up by the end of my story.

Recently, I had a ring-side seat to a family drama. And as I watched it play out before my eyes, I was struck by the fact that so many things, yea, almost EVERYTHING we are or become as adults is so tightly tied to what happened to us as children. Of course, this isn't anything new.  But what I was able to witness was how individuals formulate their whole world views and ideas based on their perception of the ideas and actions of others during their early years...and not necessarily what the others' intentions were. And so, a mother who was cautious and careful with a son who was medically fragile as a child, out of love and concern, might be perceived as overbearing and controlling by that same son, by the time he becomes an adult. Everything is now skewed, and exaggerated, and bitterness sets in - and people in the family align themselves on opposite sides. Unhealthy patterns persist, and the players seem to be helplessly drawn into the same types of scenarios - yearly.

Thankfully, I had no role in this drama, at least, not historically. (I don't do drama) I came on the scene and was merely an observer; but I am family, just the same. I was saddened by its affect on everyone - including the one who was at the center of the discord. That individual is the one I identified as hurting the most. The one who has not resolved past issues and needs to be freed from all the pain inside. I saw, up close and personal, that the saying "misery loves company" is all too true.

In the midst of the turmoil, my knee-jerk reaction was to send a message to my husband. I remember typing this whole line about what was going on, how it was so unnecessary and sad, especially at this time of year when families need to come together, etc., etc. I pressed "send", feeling slightly relieved, and waited for his reply.

He sent back a text with one word: "Pray."  I must say I was stunned. I needed that advice, and the family needed prayer at that moment. So thankful for a husband who is in tune to what the will of God is in times of need. I was ready to go somewhere completely different on this subject - but God knew how to redirect my thoughts.  As a result, the door can be open for healing in the family to begin.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The joys of living and working in a non-toxic environment

We hear so much about work/life balance in the workplace.  Companies are rated on how employee-centered they are.  It's ...