Sunday, August 3, 2014

"I am wealthy from the things that matter." C. James

C. James and me
I've been richly blessed with beautiful sister/friends in every phase of my life. I have friends from childhood, and whenever we get together, it's like yesterday all over again!

Over time, a pattern began to emerge, or, I became aware of certain events along my path that I knew weren't coincidental. Every work experience, every situation - anything having to do with my interactions with others, had a specific purpose for me. In some cases, I learned that my associations and/or friendships were meant for my edification and growth. In other instances, someone else was to learn and grow from my influence in their life.

It got to be so real, that I would look for the lessons in situations; try to discern the strategy. And the Lord would reveal it in time. Some experiences were complex and convoluted; but every one brought about much needed growth.

One of my dear sisters I met at work just a few years ago, has health struggles. Her body is in constant pain and the doctors are unable to heal her.  She's a powerful sister with the gift of discernment that has blessed me in a way that I know she's in a tight relationship with the Lord and allows His Spirit to use her. Her incredible peace in the midst of excruciating pain amazes me. God revealed to both of us that we were to work together and encourage each other during a season in which we both found trying and uncomfortable. And we made it through!

To this day, this woman of God encourages others, even from her sick bed, in times when her body is weakest. August 1 was her birthday, and after being absent from social media for a few months, she thanked everyone for their prayers and birthday blessings.

My friend has a devoted husband, whose life I watched become transformed as he witnessed and experienced his wife's unwavering faith and unconditional love. (Yes! I was watching him watch her! A double blessing!) They have two adult children and a granddaughter. There are loving friends, family and House of Faith where folks continually lift them in prayer. This family is indeed blessed!

It was her testimony of the goodness of God that inspired this post today. What she said resonated with me as she thanked God for another year of life:

"I suppose at this age, there is nothing that I need or want. I am wealthy from the things that matter."

There was no mention of the healing for her body that we all have been praying for. And this can only mean that she desires His will alone.  This is my prayer...that God work in me so that I am aligned with His will - to be a blessing, and an effective witness of His grace and mercy. God is faithful to perform whatever is needed in our lives to the saving of our souls.

When we accept the Gift of Salvation - we're truly wealthy, and nothing else matters. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The joys of living and working in a non-toxic environment

We hear so much about work/life balance in the workplace.  Companies are rated on how employee-centered they are.  It's ...