Sunday, December 7, 2014

Turn up the quiet


Last week was hectic and intense at work. The first week of the month is usually that way because there's a monthly report that I submit to Headquarters...due by the fifth of the month. It's the status report of all persons served by my agency, and in particular, the four facilities that send their reports to me. My site is the fifth, and I'm responsible for those stats. Easy peasy.  It's only a struggle when I don't receive the documents I need in a timely manner. I compile and complete the report and it must be precise. All the numbers must add up to what's been documented in the database. The two reports must match. Any incorrect entry, variation, duplication, throws off the entire report and it's needle-in-the-haystack-time!. 

When it comes to duties I enjoy the least, my goal is to expedite them as fast as I can, with accuracy.  The report hasn't been late in months, it's been rushed down to Headquarters at COB on the 5th. But for the first time in the history of the P. S. Monthly Report - it was delivered last Thursday, the 4th! The language fails when I try to describe the happiness my team and I felt!  My head was throbbing - but we could relax on Friday!

And Friday came. I went to work longing for quitting time so I could go back home and rest.

It had been raining all day, and the weather report said there would be rain all through Saturday. Anyone who knows me, knows that rainy days and Mondays (Tuesdays, Wednesdays...) are right up my alley! This sista couldn't wait to get home, take a long bubble bath soak, jump into my jammies, have a hot cup of tea, curl up on the couch and just vegetate blissfully! As is my custom, I sent a text message to my husband and let him know my ETA, and my plans for the evening.


Just wanted to report that when I got home, the lights were low and the only sound was Bruce playing a melody he'd composed on his bass guitar. Everything was as I had wanted...with an added treat: Bruce serenaded me with several selections while I sat on the couch with my hot tea in hand. And he surprised me by playing Amazing Grace!

It was a beautiful way to bring in Shabbat, as the showers from heaven came down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The joys of living and working in a non-toxic environment

We hear so much about work/life balance in the workplace.  Companies are rated on how employee-centered they are.  It's ...