Sunday, September 14, 2014

On the Ministry of Marriage - My Testimony

The Lord knows the last thing on my mind was a second marriage. When my 31-year marriage ended with the death of my husband, Lamont Wynn, in 2010, I was content with the fact that the Lord would continue to be my Source and my Husband for the rest of my life. 

Because I am committed to ministry, as my former marriage had been, I just believed that I would simply carry on in ministry - and, more like the Apostle Paul, be unencumbered by the care and feeding of a spouse. I had one idea about the way things would play out until the second coming of Christ, or the end of my days should He not return before I pass away.  God had another plan. 

My life now is enriched in this second marriage because my husband, Bruce Edwards, is not only committed to ministry with me, he is the founder of a ministry the Lord placed upon his heart several years ago!  When it became apparent that a decision about the direction of our relationship needed to be made, I prayed earnestly for wisdom. Both of us petitioned the Lord for His guidance, because neither of us wanted to enter into a second marriage purely on emotion.  Quite honestly, in my view, it would have been easier not to marry. However, the Lord revealed our purpose as a couple, so we trusted Him with all the particulars, and obeyed His voice.

For believers who marry, we understand that God is bringing two individuals together to do a joint work that glorifies Him, and expresses His love - in all things. Before I married Bruce, the Lord opened my eyes and I began to see all of the wonderful spiritual resources he'd been accumulating in his personal library over the years.  I saw that this man, by God's grace and power, had been preparing to engage in the ministry of healing, starting with himself, and then the relationships of others.  And it was and is a blessing to know what the Lord has been working in him - all of his life.

Nothing happens by chance or accident in God's realm. And everything comes to pass in God's time. The Lord works His will in ways we do not expect - ways we never imagined - for the saving of our souls, and the souls of those along our path who will believe.  In my walk with the Lord, I know that my trials and pitfalls have been turned into triumphs and stepping stones. We know that there are more challenges, more stretching and growing ahead. And we are willing to experience the process because we know God knows what is best as He perfects our hearts and souls - for an effective testimony.

The life of a believer is all about ministry. And marriage is indeed a ministry. When two people seeking the Lord unite in matrimony, it is the family's first ministry. We believe we are on this earth to be the hands and feet of Christ - reaching out in love to all with the message of hope and salvation. We understand that we are to glorify our Father in Heaven in all that we say and do. We know it is possible because we have access to the Power by God's Holy Spirit. We are ever mindful that we are but frail, human flesh - with a Supernatural connection. And when we trust and obey God and take Him at His Word - there is unspeakable joy and incomprehensible peace, even in times of trouble. Our families and those the Lord brings into our lives are encouraged by the godly example of two, very ordinary people.

I'm a living witness of God's mercy, grace, forgiveness and love. And I thank Him daily for the opportunity to continue to be His ambassador, and suitable mate and partner to my loving, God-fearing husband, for the rest of my journey on this earth.

I pray this post will edify, uplift and inspire someone today. God knows who you are. 

Amen.





No comments:

Post a Comment

The joys of living and working in a non-toxic environment

We hear so much about work/life balance in the workplace.  Companies are rated on how employee-centered they are.  It's ...