Saturday, January 10, 2015

A Tremor in the Force...


Dad and me at Ashley & Brian's Engagement Party, 2009

My father died last Wednesday night on the west coast, while I was sleeping on the east coast. He had been declining in health since his heart surgery in 2013 - and more rapidly since his fall at home on December 8, 2014.  After two weeks of aggressive tests, the medical team informed us that nothing more could be done, and he would be comfortable and feel no pain. We prayed for the peace to accept the inevitable. I prayed especially for my mother, his wife of 59 years.

I feel the tremor in waves like the aftershocks of an earthquake. This is very different. This is unknown territory, and at times it looks like a desert - dry and desolate - void of the cool and calm that was my Dad. This is - how will I navigate this craziness without the reassurance of Dad's sonic boom-like presence? This is - I will hold it together for my mother, but who will hold it together for me? This is - time for the big guns of faith and everything I've always said I believe. And I do believe and trust God.

As someone told me the other day - We'll be all right. Dad gave us enough juice to make it the rest of the journey. And God is with me and my family to steady us when it feels like the ground is caving in. He's done it before, He'll do it again.

Don Winston Greathouse 11/12/34 - 1/7/15
Hallelu! 


No comments:

Post a Comment

The joys of living and working in a non-toxic environment

We hear so much about work/life balance in the workplace.  Companies are rated on how employee-centered they are.  It's ...